Periodontal TherapyAn Overview
Dr. Sousa provides periodontal therapy to treat all stages of gum disease and help you restore a healthy and stable smile. A leading cause of tooth loss in adults, gum disease can lead to a wide range of problems and impact both dental and overall health and well-being. The maintenance of gum health is an important part of your preventive dental care at East Hills Dental Associates and the key to enjoying a healthy smile.
Periodontal diseases are infections of the gums, which gradually destroy the support of your natural teeth, leading to changes in the fit if the bite, bone loss and even tooth loss if untreated.
Periodontal disease and decay are both caused by bacterial plaque, a colorless film, which sticks to your teeth at the gum line. Plaque constantly forms on your teeth. By thorough daily brushing and flossing, you can remove harmful bacteria and help prevent periodontal disease. If not carefully removed by twice daily brushing and flossing, plaque hardens into a rough, porous substance known as calculus (or tartar).
Prolonged irritation of the gums from developing gum disease starts to separate the gums from the teeth, creating pockets and allowing bacteria to harm bone and tooth structure.
Preventing Gum Disease
The best way to prevent gum disease is to establish a healthy oral hygiene routine, which includes twice daily brushing and flossing, and to visit with us twice a year for preventive dental care. Other healthy habits that can reduce your risk of developing gum disease include:
- a healthy diet that is low in added sugars
- drinking water after meals and snacks to rinse the mouth
- maintaining good overall physical health
- discussing any medical conditions or medications that may have oral side effects with us during your visit
Always a fantastic experience with lovely staff. Couldn’t ask for a better dentist !Michelle Cassera
It is always a pleasant experience to go to Dr. Sousa's office. I completely rely on Dr. Sousa's expertise in dentistry and his cosmetic aesthetic (he is an artist) as well as the upbeat positive environment with Dr. Sousa's staff. Conversation is always sprinkled with a sense of humor; yet…Anonymous
The best dental experience I've had thus far. When I enter the office I am greeted with big smiles and kind words. It feels like a family. The work Dr. Sousa does is sensational and his determination to do the best job he can is indisputable. With a great supporting…Anonymous
Dr. Sousa always provides a pleasant, professional, and cheerful dental experience. His appointments are punctual, his staff is friendly, and the dental care is thorough, efficient, and done with the finest equipment to the highest standards. Whether just a simple cleaning, or in the event of more extensive procedures, the…Theodore Ryder
Periodontal Therapy What to Expect
The first step in treating gum disease is an exam with Dr. Sousa to evaluate the condition of your oral health, stage of disease and any possible damage. From there a personal treatment plan will be discussed to remove bacteria, repair any damage and stabilize your gum health.
- Antibacterial rinses: for early stage and chronic gum disease can often be managed with the use of an antibacterial rinse as part of your daily oral hygiene routine.
- Scaling and root planing: a more intensive cleaning along the gum line and tooth roots to remove built up tartar and stimulate healing of infected gum tissues.
- Oral surgery: for advanced gum disease, a surgical treatment may be necessary to address damaged tissue, restore the gums and support long-term dental health.